Thursday, June 5, 2008

Google Calendar is Awesome

Writing out a list and thinking on these things for a few weeks now (please refer back to my docs) I've come to a realization that I need to start to blocking out my time for these things, yet at the same time, keeping it free enough so that I don't cramp God's style. If He wants to do something in my life or through me... who am I to say um, yeah ... ok I gotta schedule to keep here so, that whole following your will thing, it's gonna have to wait... yeah... I look forward to this challenge, though I know it's going to be difficult. So here's my goal's so far:
  1. Work out at least twice a week.
  2. I will have a day ( 5 hours ) all to myself with no one else, once a week.
  3. God and I will have breakfast at least three times a week.
  4. Some of my energy each day will be devoted to one of my house mates (30 minutes).
  5. I will keep to the Bible study that Angela and I do and meet with her specifically about the Bible study weekly.
I feel like these things will change some aspects of how I live, I know that it will change my relationship with God, my house mates and it's going to change my relationship with Angela as well, but I look forward to these changes. I think that everyone who knows me knows that I hate change, I hhhaaaaaate it! Unless I'm in charge, and thats my fallen humanity coming to the surface (I'm sorry everybody).
I had a conversation today with my friend from the coffee shop, Dave, and we were talking about patience. He said that he had learned a lot from native Sioux, relatives of his wife, about patience and being a parent. This was before he had his first child, he has two now, and is still amazed about patience with his kids and wife. I had told him that I had experienced some of that knowledge from the Native Americans of Alaska, the Inupiaq Eskimos, and how their values were very present in my interactions with their elders.
In a similar vein, one of the most comforting verses to me is this:
"Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. Love never fails, -" 1 Corinthians 13:4-8a
This is comforting to me because these are all things that God is and will ever be, He will never be false to these values - and the first that is written is that He is patient. His patience is our salvation, and I hope and pray for this in my life that I may glorify Him. This is why I write out a schedule, in hope, that I may train and beat my body into submission, that my body may obey my mind and my mind may obey the Living Christ. Please pray for this for me.






On a side note: I'm really falling for Angela pretty hard. Did I ever tell you that story about when a guy who was siding my parents house dropped a hammer on my head... from the second story of the house? The hook end hit and stuck into the front side of my head. I'm falling harder for Angela now than I did from that hammer.

1 comment:

MamaBear said...

I don't know how I never heard about this hammer thing! Wow, It doesn't suprise me at all, it is so you, like flying off that water slide!
Thanks for your reflections, pat. Sounds like pretty good stuff.
Can we come over on Wednesday? Pretty please?