Sunday, June 1, 2008

Run People Run!

As planned, the Go! Race was a go and Angela and I ran the 5k. And yes, I am totally pimping a 420 race number... all about that weed? Anyway, it was fun, there was a drum/dance line and some fun stuff for kids. I learned that this is the only 5k in the country that runs through an impoverished area. Urban Homeworks is a pretty wonderful organization, and this race gave me an idea of what kind of work is being done in the north side of Minneapolis. As we ran I saw lots of community projects happening, children's centers and Habitat for Humanity's "Home Depot" of sorts, it's called ReStore. It was a fantastic run, and when we had finished I realized that all through my training I had never ran more than a mile and a half, now I just finished a little more than three. Huh. That's weird.
"Hey Ange, what do you want to do now?"
"Take a shower, you?"
"Go to Kopplin's ... and, maybe go to the cabin."
"Sounds good."

It was an awesome Saturday.

2 comments:

Kevin D. Hendricks said...

Go Pat and Angela! I never figured you for the runner type, Pat. Wow. You'd be kicking my butt.

MamaBear said...

yeah, and Urban Homeworks is pretty cool. There are several houses in our neighborhood and sometimes the "urban neighbors" make friends with us.
They get sort of irritated if you assume they go to Bethel. They don't all go to Bethel, I guess.